Velen: Difference between revisions

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
 
Line 21: Line 21:
The arms were granted on November 17, 1977.
The arms were granted on November 17, 1977.


The birds are taken from the arms of the family Von Velen. This family was first mentioned as Lords of Velen in the 13<sup>th</sup> century and received in 1379 the village officially in loan from the bishop of [[Münster]].  
The birds are taken from the arms of the family Von Velen. This family was first mentioned as Lords of Velen in the 13<sup>th</sup> century and received in 1379 the village officially in loan from the bishop of [[Münster (Westfalen)|Münster]].  


In the 17<sup>th</sup> century the family split in the Counts of Velen (see [[Raesfeld]]) and the Lords of Velen. The latter still owned Velen, but became extinct in the 18<sup>th</sup> century. The colours are taken from the arms of Münster.  
In the 17<sup>th</sup> century the family split in the Counts of Velen (see [[Raesfeld]]) and the Lords of Velen. The latter still owned Velen, but became extinct in the 18<sup>th</sup> century. The colours are taken from the arms of Münster.  

Revision as of 06:33, 17 April 2012

Germany.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
Germany.jpg


VELEN

State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Borken
Amt : Amt Velen-Ramsdorf (until 1957 Amt Velen)
Additions : 1969 Nordvelen, Velen-Dorf, Waldvelen; 1974 Amt Velen-Ramsdorf, Ramsdorf (1959 Kirchspiel Ramsdorf)

Velen2.jpg

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on November 17, 1977.

The birds are taken from the arms of the family Von Velen. This family was first mentioned as Lords of Velen in the 13th century and received in 1379 the village officially in loan from the bishop of Münster.

In the 17th century the family split in the Counts of Velen (see Raesfeld) and the Lords of Velen. The latter still owned Velen, but became extinct in the 18th century. The colours are taken from the arms of Münster.

The birds formed the arms of Velen until 1977, which were combined with the block from the arms of Ramsdorf

The previous arms were granted in 1961 and only show the three birds.

Velen.jpg

Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; leaflet Wappen Landkreis Borken.