Landsberg am Lech
LANDSBERG AM LECH
|German||In Silber auf grünem Dreiberg ein rotes Kreuz.|
Landsberg received city rights prior to 1260 and the oldest seal probably dates from the same time, but is known since 1325. The seal shows a rosary and two small shields. Since 1429 all seals and images have shown the above arms.
The origin is not known, but most likely there was a cross as a typical landmark near the crossing of the Lech river.
On November 8, 1934 the city adopted new arms, shown below. The arms are based on the oldest seal from 1325. The two shields show the arms of Bayern (diamonds) and the Pfalz (lion) and refer to the Dukes of Pfalz-Bayern. After the second world war the city returned to the use of the old arms.
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in a manuscript from 1599
The arms in an album, 1950s
The arms in an album from 1968
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site