|German||In Silber über blauen Wellen schwebend eine schwarze Glocke mit goldenen Reifen und goldenem (auch schwarzen) Klöppel.|
Mindelheim received city rights around 1250. The oldest seal is known from 1337, but is probably slightly older. The seal already shows a bell and some waves. The waves symbolise the Mindel river. The origin of the bell is not clear. It may be a bell of justice, an thus a symbol of the free justice in the city. The oldest use of the composition as arms dates from 1430, and the arms thus have not really changed since. From 1705-1750, as capital of the Principality Mindelheim, the city used the old arms as a breastshield on the Imperial eagle.
The colours are known as such since 1555, but many different colours have been used during the centuries.
The arms in Kramer (1841)
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site