Mirow

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


MIROW

State : Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
District (Kreis) : Mecklenburgische Seenplatte (until 2011 Mecklenburg-Strelitz)
Additions : 1950 Granzow, Starsow; 1961 Peetsch; 2004 Diemitz; 2014 Roggentin

Wappen von Mirow/Arms (crest) of Mirow
Official blazon
German

Halb gespalten und geteilt; oben: vorn in Rot ein silbernes Johanniterkreuz; hinten: in Silber ein schräglinks liegender grüner Palmenzweig; unten ein hersehender, gold gekrönter schwarzer Stierkopf mit aufgerissenem roten Maul, silbernen Zähnen, ausgeschlagener roter Zunge, in sieben Spitzen abgerissenem Halsfell und silbernen Hörnern.

English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on February 12, 1921.

The cross of the Knights of St. John of Malta (Johanniterorden) symbolises that the village and region were given to the Knights in 1226 by Prince Heinrich Borwin II of Mecklenburg. The second quarter shows a palm leaf, a symbol for peace. The name Mirow is derived from the Slavic word for peace. The base shows the bull’s head of the Princes of Mecklenburg.





This page is part of the
Germany.jpg
German heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:



Contact and Support

Partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Bensing, et al 1985