Neustadt an der Weinstrasse
NEUSTADT AN DER WEINSTRASSE
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
Urban district (Stadtkreis) : Neustadt an der Weinstrasse
Additions : 1892 Winzingen; 1969 Diedesfeld, Geinsheim, Gimmeldingen (1860 Lobloch), Haardt, Hambach an der Weinstrasse, Königsbach an der Weinstrasse, Lachen-Speyerdorf, Mussbach an der Weinstrasse; 1974 Duttweiler
The arms were officially granted on December 12, 1925.
Neustadt received city rights officially in 1275, but it already had a strong city character in 1235. The city was a major city of the Counts of the Palatinate and the oldest known seals (known since the late 13th century) all show the lion of the Pfalz, often combined with the diamonds of the Wittelsbach family. The Counts of the Pfalz were of the Wittelsbach dynasty.
Since the middle of the 14th century the seals only show the lion of the Pfalz. Ever since the city has used the lion as the sole symbol in its arms.
The seal from 1275 (Hupp, 1927)
The seal from 1359 (Hupp, 1927)
The seal from 1379 (Hupp, 1927)
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site