Gespalten; vorne in Rot ein halber silberner Adler am Spalt, hinten gespalten von Schwarz und Gold.
The arms are derived form the arms of the Benedictine monastery and convent in Ottobeuren.
The first arms were granted on October 5, 1818 and showed a church with two towers, standing on a hill. This obviously symbolised the monastery and the convent. On the seals of the municipality the church was shown without the hill.
The arms in Kramer (1841)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
On January 4, 1938 the present arms were granted, which are a combination of arms used by the monastery and the convent respectively. It took more than a century to change the arms, as already in 1835 the population of Ottobeuren voted for arms based on the arms of the monastery instead of the church.
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site