From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 15:11, 20 August 2023 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "|Arms of {{PAGENAME}}]]" to "|Coat of arms (crest) of {{PAGENAME}}]]")
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 15,572
  • Total images in the British section : 9,351


Incorporated into : 1976 Tweeddale District Council (1996 Scottish Borders Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Peebles

Official blazon

Gules, three salmon counternaiant in pale Proper. And in an Escrol this Motto "Contranando lucre­ mentum".


The arms were granted on December 18, 1894.

Peebles was created a Royal Burgh around 1153. The arms already appear on a seal of which an impression is known from 1479. The three salmon also appear on the Town Cross, which is thought to date from 1320.

The salmon recall the many salmon in the river Tweed, on which the Burgh stands; their arrangement on the shield refers to the habit of the fish travelling upstream from the sea to spawn and implies that for every salmon swimming up river, two return to the sea. The red colour has been used for centuries, but the meaning is not known.

The Latin motto means "Increase by swimming against (the stream)".

seal of Peebles

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Coat of arms (crest) of Peebles

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905

The arms on a cigarette card, 1906
Coat of arms (crest) of Peebles

The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1935

The arms outside the county inn (source)

The arms on the bridge in town

The arms are now used by the Royal Burgh of Peebles and District community council.

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature : Porteous, 1906; Bute et al; 1903; Urquhart, 1974