Pembroke (Wales)

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 07:38, 11 January 2013 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs) (Created page with '{|width="100%" style="color:black; background-color:#ffffcc;" |width="15%"|50 px|left |width="70%" align="center" |'''Heraldry of the World<br>Civic h…')
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to navigation Jump to search
United Kingdom.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
United Kingdom.jpg

PEMBROKE (Borough)

Incorporated into : 1974 South Pembrokeshire ( 1996 Pembrokeshire)


Official blazon

Arms : Or six Chevronels Gules within a Bordure quarterly Argent and Azure charged with twelve Martlets those on the Argent of the second and those on the Azure of the field.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Castle with three Towers the outer two steepled proper an Anchor Sable.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Lion Gules charged on the shoul­der with a Portcullis chained Or and on the sinister side a Lion Argent charged on the shoulder with a Tudor Rose each gorged with a Naval Crown Gold.
Motto : 'UNG NOUS SERVONS' - We serve as one


The arms were officially granted on September 12, 1950 and transferred to the town council on ?.

The chevronels are those of Gilbert de Clare, first Earl of Pembroke, while in the border the red martlets on white are from the arms of William de Valence, Earl of Pembroke 1251-96, and the gold martlets on blue are from the arms of Jasper Tudor who was created Earl of Pembroke in 1453. The castle and anchor stand for Pembroke town and dock.

The red lion is derived from the arms of William the Marshal, who was Earl of Pembroke 1199-1219, and was succeeded in the earldom by his five sons. The white lion is from the heraldry of the Herbert family, who have held the Earldom of Pembroke since 1468. The naval crowns refer to Pembroke Dock, with particular reference to the former Royal Naval Dockyard, and the portcullis and rose are badges of King Henry VII, who was born at Pembroke Castle in 1457.

The motto is a variation of that of the Herbert Earls of Pembroke, Ung je serviray.

Literature : Information provided by Laurence Jones (