|German||Im geteilten Felde, oben in Silber ein durchgehendes schwarzes Kreuz, unten gespalten, links in Silber ein mit dem Barte linkshin gewendeter blauer Schlüssel, rechts auf rotem Grund ein blau bewehrter halber silberner Adler am Spalt.|
The arms were granted in 1915 in different colours, see image below, and continued on August 14, 1970.
The arms are based on the second seal of the city, which dates from the 14th century, and which was probably made after the granting of city rights in 1342 by the Archbishop of Köln. The upper part of the arms shows the cross of the State and diocese of Köln. The key is the symbol of St. Peter, the patron saint of Köln. The eagle is taken from the arms of the Counts of Are-Hochstaden, who acted as vassals.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site