|German||Im von Gold und Blau geteilten Schild oben ein wachsender, blaugekrönter und -bewehrter herschauender roter Löwe, unten ein rautenförmiges goldenes Gitter, gefüllt mit goldenen Lilien.|
The arms already appear on the oldest known seal of the city, known since 1331. The upper half shows a lion, derived from the arms of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen, who acquired the area in the 13th century. They probably also granted the city rights around 1250-60.
The lower half shows a pattern, similar to other cities in the County of Katzenelnbogen, but the meaning is not known.
Hupp showed the arms in the 1920s in a slightly different composition, with the lion facing right, see below.
The arms in a manuscript from +/- 1730
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Municipal stationery, 1960s
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site