|German||In Gold ein rot-grün geteilter Löwe
The arms have been used by the city since 1646. The city currently uses the arms also with a crest with the lion.
The arms are based on the arms of the Von Schönberg family, who had granted the city rights in 1336. There is a legend on the origin of the bi-coloured lion: When one of the members who was on a crusade in the Holy Land, was hunting in a marshy area. During the hunt he was attacked by a lion, which he managed to scare off through the marsh. He followed and finally killed the lion. he then saw that the lower half of the lion was covered with water plants and thus looked green. He then based his family arms on this event.
Contact and Support
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Bensing et al; 1984