State : Hessen
District (Kreis) : Schwalm-Eder Kreis (until 1973 Melsungen)
Additions : 1971 Bergheim, Metzebach, Mörshausen, Schnellrode, Vockerode-Dinkelberg; 1972 Elbersdorf, Herlefeld, Nausis, Pfieffe; 1974 Bischofferode, Landefeld, Weidelbach
|German||Im roten Schild vorne ein halbes goldenes Rad, hinten eine goldene Spange, die ein Bündel goldener Blätter und Blüten zusammenhält.|
The arms are based on the oldest seal of the city, known since 1317. Spangenberg was first mentioned as a city in 1261 and the seal probably dates from the same time. The wheel is taken from the arms of the Treffurt family, which ruled Spangenberg in the 13th century. The left half shows a fossilised plant, locally known as Spange and found in the area. The town was named after the fossils. The present image, however, does no longer look like the original Spange. The composition of the seals and later the arms thus has never changed since. The colours are known since 1621.
The arms in a manuscript from +/- 1730
The arms in an 1884 book
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site