28th Field Artillery Regiment, US Army

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Usa.jpg
US heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United States
Usa.flag.gif

28TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, US ARMY

Arms of 28th Field Artillery Regiment, US Army

(Coat of Arms)
Arms of 28th Field Artillery Regiment, US Army

(Distinctive Unit Insignia)


Official blazon

Shield: Gules, a chevron Argent overall an artillery shell Or that portion on the chevron fimbriated of the field.
Crest: On a wreath of the colors Or and Gules, in front of a palmetto branch of the first bearing in chief three gunstones, a lion passant guardant of the second armed and langued Azure.
Motto: WE SUPPORT THE LINE.

Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules, a chevron Argent overall an artillery shell Or that portion on the chevron fimbriated of the field. Attached below the shield a Red scroll inscribed “WE SUPPORT THE LINE” in Gold letters.

Origin/meaning

The shield is scarlet for Artillery. The white chevron representative of a rafter or support, with the shell, represents support of the line. Crest: The lion is from the coat of arms of Normandy. It refers to combat service in Normandy in World War II for which the unit was awarded the French Croix de Guerre with Palm. The gold palm is for victory. In addition, it simulates a bomb burst and refers to artillery fire. The three gunstones stand for the unit’s participation in the campaigns in Northern France, the Rhineland and Central Europe.

The coat of arms was originally approved for the 28th Field Artillery Regiment on 18 January 1940. It was amended to revise the blazon of the shield on 28 August 1940. The insignia was redesignated for the 28th Field Artillery Battalion on 26 February 1941. It was redesignated for the 28th Artillery Regiment on 4 August 1958. It was amended to add a crest on 2 October 1964. It was redesignated for the 28th Field Artillery Regiment on 1 September 1971. The insignia was redesignated for the 28th Field Artillery Regiment on 5 February 1973.

The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 28th Field Artillery Regiment on 18 January 1940. It was amended to revise the description on 28 August 1940. The insignia was redesignated for the 28th Field Artillery Battalion on 26 February 1941. It was redesignated for the 28th Artillery Regiment on 4 August 1958. It was redesignated for the 28th Field Artillery Regiment on 1 September 1971. The insignia was redesignated for the 28th Field Artillery Regiment on 5 February 1973.


Follow us on Facebook.jpg

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)

Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Rate these arms / rate this page :
0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)



Literature: Images from Wikimedia Commons. Information from The Institute of Heraldry, US Army.