317th Engineer Battalion, US Army
|Heraldry of the World |
|US heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United States
317TH ENGINEER BATTALION, US ARMY
Shield: Argent on a fess cotised Gules between a Lorraine Cross and an oak tree of the last a pickaxe and a shovel, handles to chief saltirewise of the field.
Crest: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Gules two chevronels interlaced one Vert, the other Gules both fimbriated of the first, in front at the base a fountain supporting overall an upright sword Argent.
Motto: BY INDUSTRY AND HONOR.
Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent on a fess cotised Gules between a Lorraine Cross and an oak tree of the last a pickaxe and a shovel, handles to chief saltirewise of the field. Attached below the shield a Silver scroll inscribed “BY INDUSTRY AND HONOR” in Red letters.
Shield: Scarlet and white are the colors of the Corps of Engineers. The horizontal band is the heraldic representation of a military belt or girdle of honor. The crossed pick and shovel, two tools most frequently used in the performance of duties, symbolize the functions of the organization. The battle honors awarded the unit for service during World War I are represented by the Lorraine Cross, for Lorraine and the oak tree, for Meuse-Argonne, taken from the oaks of the Argonne Forest. The motto is expressive of the means of accomplishment and of the characteristics of the personnel.
Crest: The two chevronels, simulating mountains, with the heraldic fountain represent the unit’s overseas war service-North Apennines and Po Valley during World War II. The chevronels also allude to Engineer support while green, white and red are the national colors of Italy. The upright sword was suggested by the Italian Cross of Merit awarded the organization.
The coat of arms was originally approved for the 317th Engineer Combat Battalion on 9 January 1943. It was redesignated for the 317th Engineer Battalion on 16 November 1954. It was amended to add a crest on 1 August 1975. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 317th Engineer Combat Battalion on 9 January 1943. It was redesignated for the 317th Engineer Battalion on 16 November 1954.
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)
Literature: Image from Wikimedia Commons. Information from The Institute of Heraldry, US Army.