9th Engineer Battalion, US Army

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Usa.jpg
US heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United States
Usa.flag.gif

9TH ENGINEER BATTALION, US ARMY


Arms of 9th Engineer Battalion, US Army

(Coat of Arms)
Arms of 9th Engineer Battalion, US Army

(Distinctive Unit Insignia)


Official blazon

Shield: Gules, a chevron wavy between in sinister chief a horse’s head erased and in base a mullet all Argent; on a canton Or an anchor debruised by two oars in saltire Gules (for the 2nd Engineers).
Crest: On a wreath of the colors (Argent and Gules) a Gila monster statant Proper.
Motto: ASISTIREMOS (We Will Assist).

Distinctive Unit insignia, Description: A Silver color metal and enamel device 1 5/32 inches (2.94 cm) in height, consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules, a chevron wavy between in sinister chief a horse’s head erased and in base a mullet all Argent; on a canton Or an anchor debruised by two oars in saltire Gules. Above the shield on a wreath of the colors (Argent and Gules) a Gila monster statant Proper. Below the shield a Silver scroll inscribed “ASISTIREMOS” in Black letters.

Origin/meaning

The wavy chevron shows the service of the unit along the Rio Grande; the horse’s head its mounted status. The star is the lone star of Texas. These charges with the color of the field are the Engineer colors, red and white. The canton shows the parent organization, the 2d Engineers, being taken from the arms of that regiment. The crest is a Gila monster, much in evidence in the Border country.

The coat of arms was originally approved for the 9th Engineers on 14 January 1921. It was reapproved with the addition of the crest and motto for the 9th Engineer Regiment on 10 August 1925. It was amended to change the designation to Engineer Squadron on 3 April 1930. It was redesignated for the 9th Armored Engineer Battalion on 7 October 1942. It was redesignated again for the 9th Engineer Combat Battalion on 5 June 1952. The insignia was redesignated for the 9th Engineer Battalion on 15 November 1956. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 9th Engineers on 31 August 1925. It was amended to change the designation to Engineer Squadron on 3 April 1930. It was redesignated for the 9th Armored Engineer Battalion on 7 October 1942. It was redesignated again for the 9th Engineer Combat Battalion on 5 June 1952. The insignia was redesignated for the 9th Engineer Battalion on 15 November 1956.


Follow us on Facebook.jpg

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)

Donate.jpg

Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Rate these arms / rate this page :
0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)



Literature: Images from Wikimedia Commons.