Archdiocese of Oklahoma City

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 11,082

ARCHDIOCESE OF OKLAHOMA CITY (Archidioecesis Oclahomensis)

Country : United States
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 1876 as Apostolic Prefecture of the Indian Territory
Elevated in 1891 to the Apostolic Vicariate of the Indian Territory
Elevated in 1905 to Diocese of Oklahoma City
Renamed 1930 as Diocese of Oklahoma City-Tulsa
Elevated 1972 to Archdiocese of Oklahoma City

Arms (crest) of Archdiocese of Oklahoma City

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The archdiocesan arms were composed in 1924 when the See was known as the Diocese of Oklahoma. The red of the field of the archdiocesan arms represents the Choctaw word for Oklahoma, which translates to “red peoples.” The silver cross represents the Christian faith, while the five red arrowheads represent the Five Civilized Tribes - Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole - to whom Indian Territory, now known as Oklahoma, was deeded during the removal of these tribes from their historical homelands in South and Southeastern USA. Five downward facing arrowheads suggest peace and enlightenment, attributes of the Five Civilized Tribes and other Native American people of Oklahoma.

Arms of Bishops of Oklahoma City

Arms of Bishops of Oklahoma City-Tulsa

Arms of Archbishops

Arms of Auxiliary Bishops


Rate these arms / rate this page :

0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)

Follow us on Facebook.jpg

Share on :

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)


Literature :