Archdiocese of York

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 11,032

ARCHDIOCESE OF YORK

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Anglican

Established : 1531 from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of York

Arms (crest) of Archdiocese of York

Official blazon

Gules, two keys in saltire argent, in chief a regal crown Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were recorded at the College of Arms.

This Coat of Arms first appears to have been used by Archbishop Robert Waldby (1397-1398). The Crown originaly more resembled the Papal Tiara, but was made into a Royal Crown after 1531. The Arms thus alludes to St Peter. Anciently the Archbishop used as their official Arms a Shield identical with that of the See of Canterbury.

Arms of Archbishops


Rate these arms / rate this page :

0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)

Follow us on Facebook.jpg

Share on :

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)


Literature : Symbolism of the Arms from Heraldry of the Chruch a Handbook by E.E. Dorling.