|Heraldry of the World|
|Irish heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Ireland
Araltais in Éirinn
Gules, a lion passant guardant or, on a chief of the last two roses of the field slipped and leaved vert.
The arms of Athlone date back to a seal as early as 1663. However, there is no record of them ever being granted, therefore they have been used unofficially. The two roses and the lion passant guardant are most likely English symbols. The motto “Urbes stant legibus” is Latin for “A city stands by its laws.”
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1935
Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby, which takes a lot of time and effort (and costs).
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Please visit our partners (click on image):
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Image provided by "Laurence Jones" (firstname.lastname@example.org) and information by Stan Zamyatin Moore.