|Heraldry of the World|
|Swiss heraldry portal|
Armorial de Suisse
Basel Land was created in 1832 when the old Canton Basel was divided into Basel Land and Basel City.
The oldest arms of the new Canton are already shown in 1834 and are derived from the arms of the city of Liestal. The arms showed a red staff of Basel (see Basel-Stadt), facing left and with seven knobs (compared to the black staff facing right and without knobs of Basel city), in a silver shield and with a red bordure. To distinguish the arms of the canton from the arms of the city of Liestal, the red bordure was omitted soon after.
The arms have not changed since and have formally been granted on April 1st, 1947.
the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Mühlmann, L., 1997; Suter, 1984.