|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
The arms were officially granted on April 12, 1841 and again on October 7, 1986.
The arms are based on the old arms of the Beernem estate. The oldest image dates from a roll of arms of the Vrije van Brugge region from 1562. The arms were later used on the local parish seal of Beernem and Walschen.
The bears (Beer in Dutch) are a canting element, the meaning of the chief is not known. In the 1930s Coffee Hag albums the bears were misinterpreted as pigs (a male pig is also a 'beer' in Dutch).
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
and acquisition of new heraldic material
Literature : Servais, 1955