Chartered College of Teaching
CHARTERED COLLEGE OF TEACHING
Arms : Argent a Cross engrailed between four Dolphins naiant in bend sinister Gules.
Crest: A Stag sejant Argent attired unguled gorged with an Ancient Crown Or and reposing the dexter Forehoof on a Book expanded Proper Gules.
Supporters: Two Horses reguardant Argent each winged maned tailed unguled and gorged with an Ancient Crown Gold.
Motto: PRO DOCTRINIS ET DISCIPLINIS
The arms were officially granted on ? to the College of Preceptors.
At some time during the 19th century the College of Preceptors adopted for use on its seal something which looked very like a coat-of-arms. The shield (Argent on a Cross Purpure a Book expanded Proper bound Or) is supported by a pair of Muses Proper in the original version which also incorporates an Annulet Or enfiling the open book and four curious lozenge-shaped objects, one in each quarter. The whole is surmounted by a representation of Queen Victoria's favourite light-weight crown which she preferred to use on most state occasions. Although a marvellous example of rather heavy Art Nouveau, the "arms" were unlawful and had to be replaced
The cross, slightly altered, comes from the original device and the dolphins remind us of the College's foundation in Brighton in 1847. The white stag with gold horns and hooves represents Theydon Bois and Epping Forest where the headquarters of the College are located and the open book is for scholarship. The Ancient Crown is a reference to the College's royal charter granted by Queen Victoria in 1849.
The winged horses represent the College's involvement in international education.
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)
Literature : Heraldry Gazette 16(1985)5-6