Diocese of Bridgeport
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF BRIDGEPORT (Dioecesis Bridgeportensis)
Established : 1953
Azure, a bridge of three arches ensigned by a Latin cross and in base three bars wavy all argent
The tinctures, blue and silver, are those of the Mother of God, who is patroness of the United States under the title of her Immaculate Conception.
The silver bridge above the wavy bars is a canting element. The wavy blue and silver lines beneath the bridge represent water and are an adequate expression of "port" in the name of the city.
The Cross of Our Faith above the bridge dignifies the other symbols and identifies the coat as that of a jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Church.
Arms of Bishops
Lawrence Joseph Shehan (1953-1961)
Walter William Curtis (1961-1988)
Edward Michael Egan (1988-2000)
William Edward Lori (2001-2012)
Frank Joseph Caggiano (2013,-)
Rate these arms / rate this page :
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Literature : Brassard, 1957