Diocese of Crookston
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF CROOKSTON (Dioecesis Crookstoniensis)
Established : 1909
The red wavy bar denotes the Red Lake River on which Crookston is located, while the silver bar refers to the Missisippi, which has its source in the diocese.
Since the crozier is a development of the shepherd arms, and thus ar ethe symbol of a bishop and here the Diocese Crookston. The placing of the croziers in jurisdictional impalement also signifies the office of the Apostles and their successors, the bishops, to feed the lambs and the sheep in accordance with the command of Christ (John 21:15-17).
The crosses on the shield resemble the cross in the arms of the Diocese of Duluth from which the diocese Crookston was split.
The blue roundel and the silver crescent portray Our Lady´s colors. The crescent in particular honors the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin, her title as titular of the cathedral and Patroness of the USA. This symbol is derived from the Apocalypse: ¨And a great sign appeared in Heaven, a woman clothed with the sun and the moon was under her feet and upon her head twelve stars.
Arms of Bishops
- No image
Timothy J. Corbett (1910-1938)
- No image
John Hubert Peschges (1938-1944)
Francis Joseph Schenk (1945-1960)
Lawrence Alexander Glenn (1960-1970)
Kenneth Joseph Povish (1970-1975)
Victor Hermann Balke (1976—2007)
Michael Joseph Hoeppner (2007,-)
Rate these arms / rate this page :
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)