Diocese of Harrisburg
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF HARRISBURG (Diœcesis Harrisburgensis)
Established : 1868
Argent, on a cross gules a shamrock of the field, on a chief sable a crescent between two roundels argent.
The coat of arms of the Diocese of Harrisburg is based on the arms of the Penn family and the Harris family for whom the city of Harrisburg is named.
The black chief displays two silver roundels derived from the arms of William Penn, the English Quaker and founder of Pennsylvania. William Penn bore as arms a silver shield, thereon a black fess charged with three silver roundels.
The crescent from the arms of one of the branches of the Harris family represents John Harris, who migrated to America from Yorkshire, England, and in 1712 settled Harris’ Ferry, now known as Harrisburg. The crescent is also the revered lunar symbol of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, a title for Our Lady entrusted to the Church in America.
The shield, divided by a Latin cross a symbol of the Catholic Faith, bears a shamrock to honor Saint Patrick, the patron Saint of the Diocese and of the Cathedral Church.
Arms of Bishops
Jeremiah Francis Shanahan (1868-1886)
Thomas McGovern (1888-1898)
John Walter Shanahan (1899-1916)
Philip Richard McDevitt (1916-1935)
George Leo Leech (1935-1971)
Joseph Thomas Daley (1971-1983)
William Henry Keeler (1983-1989)
Nicholas Carmen Dattilo (1990-2004)
Kevin Carl Rhoades (2004-2010)
Joseph Patrick McFadden (2010-2013)
Ronald William Gainer (2014-present)
Arms of Auxiliary Bishops
George Leo Leech (1935)
- No image
Lawrence Frederick Schott (1956-1963)
William Henry Keeler (1979-1983)
Joseph Thomas Daley (1963-1967)
Rate these arms / rate this page :
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)