Diocese of Lichfield
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF LICHFIELD
Party per pale, gules and argent, a cross potent and quadrate in the center between four crosslets patee of the second and or.
The arms were recorded at the College of Arms.
The arms show the Cross of St. Chad, the patron saint of the diocese. Lichfield was made the episcopal see by St. Chad (Ceadda) in 669.
The earliest seal on which arms are found for the diocese is that of William Booth (1447-1452) where only a cross potent is seen as the diocesan arms.
Arms of Bishops
William Dalrymple Maclagan (1878-1891)
Rate these arms / rate this page :