Diocese of Liverpool
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF LIVERPOOL
Argent, an eagle rising sable, beaked and legged and a glory round the head Or, holding in the dexter claw an inkhorn proper; a chief per pale azure and gules charged on the dexter side with an open book Or inscribed in letters sable "Thy Word is Truth" and on the sinister side an ancient ship with three masts, sails furled, also Or.
The arms were officially granted on July 17, 1882.
The Eagle of S. John the Evangelist is taken from the ancient Seal of the Borough. The Book was placed on the Chief at the request of John Charles Ryle,
first Bishop 1880-1900. The Ship refers to the Port and Commerce of Liverpool.
Rate these arms / rate this page :
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)