Diocese of Norwich (USA)
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF NORWICH (Dioecesis Norvicensis)
Established : 1953
Vert, seme of trefoils or, a tower ensigned by a star argent
The green field strewn with golden trefoils, the heraldic appellation of a shamrock, honors St. Patrick, the titular of the Cathedral. The tower of a castle is the ancient signification of a town or village. Remains of Roman towers are still extant in the vicinity of Norwich, England. The present coat of arms of Norwich, England, displays a domed castle. Norwich, Connecticut, derived its name from this like-named town in England and was called Mohegan until 1662.
The prefix "Nor" (North) is symbolized by the North Star which is also a symbol of Oµr Lady as Stella Maris and Stella Matutina. Thus, Our Lady, who is already patroness of the United States, is also represented in the name of the Diocese.
Arms of Bishops
Bernard Joseph Flanagan (1953-1959)
Vincent Joseph Hines (1959-1975)
Daniel Patrick Reilly (1975-1994)
Daniel Anthony Hart (1995-2003)
Michael Richard Cote (2003-present)
Rate these arms / rate this page :
Literature : Brassard, 1957