Diocese of Peterborough
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF PETERBOROUGH
Gules, two keys in saltire, the wards upwards, between four cross crosslets fitchee Or.
The arms are recorded at the College of Arms.
The arms are those of the Peterborough abbey which, from the thirteenth century seal, appear to have consisted of the keys of St. Peter alone, differenced by the addition of four crosslets. The abbey was dissolved in 1539, the church was elevated to Cathedral of the new diocese in 1541.
Rate these arms / rate this page :
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Literature : McCarthy: Armoria Sedium.