Diocese of Portsmouth (anglican)
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF PORTSMOUTH (ANGLICAN)
Per fesse Or and gu1es, in chief upon waves of the sea proper a lymphad sable, and in base two keys conjoined, wards outwards, in bend, the uppermost Or, the other argent, a sword interposed between them in bend sinister argent, pommel and hilt Or.
The arms were officially granted on July 25, 1927.
The diocese was constituted in 1927 out of the diocese of Winchester as a result of the growth of the town of Portsmouth and the relative isolation of the Isle of Wight from the city of Winchester.
These arms are a differenced version of those of the parent Diocese of Winchester, which are shown in the base of the shield. In chief appears a lymphad upon the sea, placed there to indicate the maritime importance of Portsmouth and the long-standing association of the town with the Royal Navy. It recalls such varied events as the Naval Reviews and the loss of the Royal George.
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)
Literature : McCarthy: Armoria Sedium