Diocese of Ripon
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF RIPON
Argent, on a saltire gules two keys in saltire, wards upwards, Or; on a chief of the second a Holy Lamb proper.
The arms were officially granted on November 3, 1836.
The diocesean Cathedral was formerly the Chruch of the College of St. Wilfrid, to which Saint it was dedicated. It was also dedicated to St. Peter.
The Chief is from the Seal of the College of St. Wilfrid and the Keys symbolise St Peter.
Arms of Bishops
Robert Bickersteth (1857-1884)
Rate these arms / rate this page :
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Literature : Image from Wills's Arms of the Bishopric. McCarthy: Armoria Sedium. Bishop Bickersteth's Arms from J. Siebmacher’s Grosses Wappenbuch Bd 8, Die Wappen der Bistümer und Klöster.
E.E. Dorling: Heraldry of the Church a Handbook.