Diocese of Salisbury (Catholic)

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 10,977

DIOCESE OF SALISBURY

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 705 as Diocese of Sherborne
translated to Ramsbury 909
translated to Salisbury 1078
suppressed 1559 and continued as the Anglican Diocese of Salisbury

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Salisbury (Catholic)

Official blazon

Azure, Our Lady crowned, holding in her dexter arm the Infant Jesus, in her sinister hand a sceptre Or, round both heads circles of glory of the last.

Origin/meaning

The arms were recorded at the College of Arms, and were already used in the 15th century.

The dedication of the Cathedral is to the Blessed Virgin Mary and this is echoed in the arms. Her figure with the Child appears full length but seated on the seal of Richard Mitford (1395-1407); they also appear, half-length, on the small counterseals of Robert Bingham (1229-46) and Robert Wickhampton (1274-84). Seated they form part of the main device of the seals of Robert Hallam (1375-1407) and Richard Beauchamp; and half-length occur in the upper portion of that of Lorenzo, Cardinal Campeggio (1525-34). The earliest seal with the full length figure of the Virgin on a shield appears to be that of Benjamin Hoadley (1723-34).

Arms of Bishops

___________________________________________________________

Rate these arms / rate this page :

0.00
(0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)

Follow us on Facebook.jpg

Share on :

(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)

Literature :