Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF SPRINGFIELD-CAPE GIRARDEAU (Dioecesis Campifontis–Capitis Girardeauensis)
Established : 1956
Explanation of the old arms used until 1970 (no image):
The dove with the olive branch is from the arms of Pope Pius XII, indicating that the Diocese was established during his Pontificate. The blue color indicates dedication to Our Lady. The six pointed silver star symbolizes the lncarnation of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
The silver wings symbolize the Angel Gabriel who announced to the Virgin Mary that she was to bring forth the Savior. Both devices indicate the Church of St. Mary under the title of the Annunciation, the Co-Cathedral of Cape Girardeau.
The golden lamb with the palm branch symbolizes St. Agnes, the patroness of the Co-Cathedral of Springfield.
The strip of land with a piece jutting out into the water symbolizes Cape Girardeau and the waves symbolize Springfield.
Arms of Bishops
Charles Herman Helmsing (1956-1962)
Ignatius Jerome Strecker (1962-1969)
William Wakefield Baum (1970-1973)
Bernard Francis Law (1973-1984)
- No image
John Joseph Leibrecht (1984-2008)
- No image
James Vann Johnston (2008-2015)
Edward Matthew Rice (2016-present)
Rate these arms / rate this page :
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)