GIPPING (rural district council)
Incorporated into: 1974 Mid Suffolk
Arms : Azure semée of Fleurs-de-Lys a Bend wavy Argent between two Ears of Wheat slipped and leaved Or.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount Vert an Ash Tree proper in the centre and pendent from the branches by a Riband Azure an Escutcheon Sable charged with a Leopard's Face Or.
Motto: 'DOMINI EST DIRIGERE' - It is for the Lord to direct
The arms were officially granted on May 25, 1951.
The blue background and fleurs-de-lys refer to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and indicate the great preponderance of parishes dedicated to her in the district. The ears of wheat allude to the two former rural districts combined into the Gipping Rural District - Bosmere and Claydon, and East Stow. The wavy bend represents the River Gipping.
The ash tree refers to the Ashburnham family and the leopard's face to the Wentworth and De Saumarez families, the latter also links to the arms of the East Suffolk CC.
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)
Literature : Image and information provided by Laurence Jones.