|Heraldry of the World|
|Swiss heraldry portal|
Armorial de Suisse
The arms of the canton and city of Luzern are similar and are both derived from the banner of the city. For some reason, the colours were changed; the white being on the left of the banner and on the right on the arms. The oldest known use of the arms is on the seal of the city from 1386, where there is a small shield with the arms in the base of the seal. The arms at that time still had the colours of the banner. The change occurred later.
The arms in the late 15th century
The oldest seals of Luzern showed either a bend with flowers, or the patron saint of the city, St. Leodegar. In total there are 10 seals known with the saint, they were in use from 1292-1832.
The first seal (used from 1245)
The second seal (used from 1292)
The third seal (used from 1314)
The fourth seal (used from 1386) with the arms
The sixth seal (used from 1420)
Coins of the city and Canton of Luzern:
The arms on a 16th century coin
The arms on a 1606 coin
The arms on a 1622 coin
The arms on a 1725 coin
The arms on a 1804 coin
The city often uses the arms with a mural crown, to distinguish the arms from the arms of the Canton.
The arms as seen in 1931 (source)
Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
Literature : Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.