Oriel College (Oxford University)
ORIEL COLLEGE (OXFORD UNIVERSITY)
Gules, three lions passant guardant in pale Or; a bordure engrailed argent.
Entered at the Visitation of 1574.
This College bears the Royal Arms of England, differenced by a bordure engrailed argent. The College was really founded in 1324 by Adam de Brome, but Edward II is the titular founder and hence the Royal Arms are used. The Bordure may have been chosen as a reference to Brome who bore a bordure engrailed argent, but in any case the Royal Arms would have to have some suitable mark of difference. The College was once also known as King's Hall.
The arms on a tobacco card, (1922)
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !