Incorporated into : 1974 Thanet
Arms : Quarterly gules and azure, a cross parted and fretty argent between a horse rampant of the last in the first quarter, a demi lion passant guardant of the third conjoined to the hulk of a ship Or in the second, a dolphin naiant proper in the third, and a lymphad also Or in the fourth.
Crest : Issuant from a naval crown Or a pierhead, thereon a lighthouse proper.
Supporters : On the dexter side a lifeboatman, and on the sinister side a coastguard holding in the exterior hand a telescope, all proper.
Motto 'Salus naufragis salus aegris'
The arms were officially granted on July 23, 1884, supporters on November 2, 1935.
The white horse represents Kent and the lion joined to a ship's hull is from the arms of the Cinque Ports, Ramsgate being a member of Sandwich. The dolphin, ship, naval crown and lighthouse are appropriate to a seaside resort and port.
The supportes were adopted to show Ramsgate's association with the sea through the Royal Harbour since 1760.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms as used on a Faulkner postcard +/- 1905
The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1906
The arms as used in the town (Image Andrew Thomas Johnston)
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)
Literature : Biggs, 1971