|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Baden-Württemberg
Urban District (Stadtkreis) : Ulm
Additions : 1905 Söflingen; 1926 Grimmelfingen; 1927 Wiblingen; 1971 Jungingen; 1972 Mähringen, Unterweiler; 1974 Donaustetten, Eggingen, Einsingen, Ermingen, Gögglingen; 1975 Lehr
- (de) Von Schwarz und Silber geteilt.
Ulm was a free imperial city and thus used the imperial eagle on its seals. The oldest seal of the city dates from 1244 and shows the eagle with a star and lily around the head, to distinguish the seal from other seals of imperial cities.
The present arms are known since 1351. At first the eagle held a small shield with the arms, later the arms appear as a breast shield. Since the 17th century the eagle becomes less important and the arms regularly appear without the eagle. In 1803 the eagle was finally removed. The arms have not changed since.
The arms in a manuscript +/- 1530
The arms in a manuscript from 1565
The arms on a coin from 1546
The arms on a coin (1620s, image eBay)
The arms in a 17th century manuscript
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms on a Emmerlinge trade card +/- 1910
The arms in a 1936 album
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on a matchbox label +/- 1960
Rate these arms / rate this page :
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971; Bardua, 1987.