University of Exeter
UNIVERSITY OF EXETER
Argent, a saltire vert surmounted in chief of an open book proper inscribed with the words LUCEM SEQUIMUR; on a chief gules a triple-towered fortress gold; all within a bordure sable bezantee.
The arms were officially granted on May 24, 1923 to the University College of the South West of England, Exeter; transferred to the University upon its creation in 1955.
The gold fortress is taken from the arms of Exeter while the green saltire is from the arms of Plymouth, the biggest and second biggest cities in the region. The golden bezants are from the arms of Cornwall while the book is a symbol of learning. The words included in the book are "Lucem sequimur" meaning "We follow the light".
Rate these arms / rate this page :
Literature: Info from Felix Dürr.