Decemberbanner.jpg

Homburg am Main

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


HOMBURG AM MAIN

State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Main-Spessart (until 1973 Marktheidenfeld)
Incorporated into : 1978 Triefenstein

Wappen von Homburg am Main/Arms (crest) of Homburg am Main
Official blazon
German blazon wanted
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

Homburg developed around the castle of the same name and received city rights in 1332. The city was a fortress of the Bishops of Würzburg. The oldest seal dates from 1644 and shows already a fork and roses. The fork was used to catch otters in the Main river. The roses are derived from the arms of the Counts of Wertheim who ruled the city as vassals for the bishops.
Later the fork was mis-interpreted as a castle, resulting in the present shape.





This page is part of the
Germany.jpg
German heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:



Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s