|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Rheinland-Pfalz
The arms were granted on July 5, 1927.
The arms show in the first quarter the arms of the State of Köln, in the second quarter the imperial eagle, in the third quarter the lion of Jülich and in the fourth quarter the arms of the Prussian Rheinprovince. The area of the district was made up of territories that belonged to Köln and Jülich. The eagle is besides the imperial eagle also taken from the arms of the Counts of Are, who owned in the Middle Ages part of the district. At the time the arms were granted the district was part of the Rheinprovince.
Postal cancellation 1957
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.