AMERSHAM (Rural district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 Chiltern
Arms : Argent on a mount in base vert a wyvern, wings expanded, gules; on a chief per pale of the last and sable, three plates
Crest : Issuant from a Saxon cnown Or, a demi lion gules holding in the paws a sprig of beech proper. Mantled gules, doubled argent.
Motto: Freely we serve
The arms were officially granted on May 1, 1953.
The red wyvern is from the heraldry of the Drake family of Shardeloes, who have been closely connected with the history of the town of Amersham. The white roundels are from the arms of the Penn family. The red and black of the chief are the liveries of the Earls and Dukes of Buckingham.
The Saxon crown is like that in the crest of the County Council and the sprig of beech alludes to the famous beech woods of the Chiltern Hills, perhaps the best known feature of the area.
The motto is a quotation from 'Paradise Lost', in reference to Milton's residence in the district at Chalfont St. Giles.
Literature : Biggs, 1971