ANGUSSHIRE (County Council) Until 1928 Forfarshire
Incorporated into : 1975 Tayside Region
Quarterly: 1st, Argent, a lion passant guardant Gules, imperially crowned Or; 2nd, Gules, a cinquefoil Or; srd, Or, a fess chequy Azure and Argent, surmounted of a bend Gules charged with three buckles of the field; 4th, Argent, a man's heart Gules, imperially crowned Or, on a chief Azure three mullets of the field.
And in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Lippen on Angus".
The arms were granted on May 4, 1927.
The arms represent the four families that have held the Earldom of Angus. The four quarters are for Gillibride, d'Umfraville, Stuart of Bonkyll and Douglas.
The motto is LIPPEN ON ANGUS or Trust in Angus.
The arms are, slightly different, taken by the Angus District Council.
Literature : Urquhart, 1974