Archdiocese of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 7,647

ARCHDIOCESE OF SAINT ANDREWS AND EDINBURGH (Archidioecesis Sancti Andreae et Edimburgensis)

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 1653 as Apostolic Prefecture of Scotland
Renamed in 1694 to Apostolic Vicariate of Scotland
Renamed in 1727 to Apostolic Vicariate of Lowland District
Renamed in 1827 to Apostolic Vicariate of Eastern District
Elevated to Archdiocese of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh in 1878

Arms (crest) of Archdiocese of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh

Official blazon

Azure, a saltire argent charged on each of the upper limbs with a cross pattée fitchée Sable and at the centre a castle triple-towered and embattled of the Last, masoned of the Second and topped with three fans Gules, windows and portcullis shut of the Last, situate on a rock Proper, behind the Shield are placed in saltire an Archepiscopal cross and a crosier Or and above the Shield is placed a precious mitre Proper; and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "CRUX SPES UNICA".

Origin/meaning

Th saltire is the symbol of St. Andrew, the castle is taken from the arms of the city of Edinburgh. The two crosses denote the two cathedrals.

Arms of Archbishops


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature :