Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on October 6, 1819 and confirmed on December 31, 1838.
The arms are based on the 15th century seal of the town. The eagle, arend, is a canting element. On the oldest seal the eagle is placed in front of a thistle and some other flowers.
The colours are the Dutch national colours, as in 1813 the mayor applied without indicating the colours. The arms were thus granted in the national colours. When the arms were confirmed after the Belgian independence, the colours were not changed.
The historical colours are a black eagle in silver (sometimes shown as a silver eagle on black), but the municipality never changed the colours.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, M. : Armorial des provinces et des communes de Belgique. Liege, 1955, 1041 p
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site