|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Bacharach became a city in the 13th century and was a possession of the Princes of the Pfalz (Palatinate). The combination of the lion of the Pfalz and the diamonds of the Wittelsbach family (Dukes of Bayern, Princes of the Pfalz), already appears on the oldest known seal, which dates from the 14th century. The city belonged to the Pfalz until 1813 and the arms have not changed since.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.