- (1819) Van lazuur met 3 zilveren palen, het schild ter wederwijde vastgehouden door een klimmende beer van goud.
- (1838) Hemelsblaeuw koleur met dry lynregte paelen van wit koleur, het wapen met twee geele beeren als schildhouders.
The arms were granted in 1819 and again on May 25, 1838.The arms are used since 1819 and show the arms of the family Berthout-Berlaar. The family already ruled the village in the 13th century and the oldest seal of the local council dates from 1325. It already shows the Berthout arms (in gold three red pales). On a seal from 1455 the shield appeared to be held by a bear as a supporter behind the shield. Later seals, however, from 1655 and 1659 only show the shield itself. The two bears appear on a seal from 1698 (which may be based on an older seal from 1612), and are most likely a canting symbol for the name Berlaar.
The colours are most likely wrong and designed by the (Dutch) Court of Arms in 1819 as no historical colours were known. The line Berthout-Berlaar used in silver three red pales, a variation on the Berthout arms with the field in gold. The council was pointed to this historical mistake by the Flemish Heraldic Council, but decided to use the 'traditional' colours granted in 1819.
Literature: Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998; Viaene-Wouters and Warlop, 2002
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site