|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into 1968 Teesside (1974 Stockton-on-Tees)
Arms : Argent between three Bars Gules three Fleurs-de-Lis Azure a Canton Gules charged with a Lion passant Argent.
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Gules an Ancient Ship of three masts Or the mailsail Azure chaged with a Cross Or and the foresail and mizzen sail Argent charged with a Fleur-de-Lis Azure.
The arms were officially granted on May 1, 1951.
The arms combine those of the Billingham and Bellasis families.
The ship represents the district's close associations with shipping and the River Tees. The cross on the mailsail refers to St. Cuthbert, to whom the Parish Church is dedicated.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Image and information from here.