Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on April 21, 1981.
The new arms combine the arms or symbols of the four municipalities that now form the new city of Bornem. The first quarter shows the old arms of Bornem. To match the colours of the fourth quarter (the arms of Hingene) the field was made silver instead of gold. The second quarter shows the arms of Mariekerke (which were not officially granted) and the fourth a lion for Weert.
The arms of Bornem already appear on 17th century images and on the local seal dating from the early 18th century. The meaning of the red bar is not clear. It has been mentioned that the town used a banner in the same colours in medieval times. It has also been named as the arms of the Counts of Bethune. The castle symbolises the local castle, which was already built by the Romans.
Literature: Servais, 1955; Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site