Incorporated into : 1974 Vale of Glamorgan
Arms : Party per chevron gules and argent, in chief semee of cross crosslets and two lions rampant of the last, and in base over water a bridge of three arches, thereon a cow passant, all proper.
Crest : On a wreath of the colours, A cow proper, holding in the mouth an ear of wheat leaved and slipped gold, and supporting with the dexter forehoof an escutcheon Or charged with three chevronels invected gules.
Motto: Awn rhagom
The arms were officially granted on April 7, 1888.
The lions amid crosslets commemorate the medieval De Braose family. The cow on the bridge is a canting element; Cowbridge is a translation of the old Welsh name, Pont-y-fon.
The chevrons on the shield are those of the Clares, anciently Lords of Glamorgan.
Literature : Biggs, 1974