|Heraldry of the World|
|Irish heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Ireland
Araltais in Éirinn
County : Dublin
Purpure, the base barry wavy of nine azure and argent, on the dexter on a grassy headland an embattled stone tower and on the sinister a Viking galley with sail set, all proper, a chief per pale of the third and vert on the dexter an ancient mitre of the fourth and on the sinister an antique crown or.
The arms were granted to Dún Laoghaire Corporation on 9 February, 1954.
The crown symbolises Laoghaire, King of Leinster, after whom the town is called after. The bishop’s mitre represents the old monastic settlement at Monkstown. The tower refers to the fact that Dún Laoghaire is a harbour, while the ship stands for the Viking origins.
The arms are not that much different to the earlier ones which were used unofficially. One of the differences is the British crown is replaced with that of an antique Irish one.
At the early 20th century, Kingstown as it was called then, used the following non official arms:
Literature : Information provided by Stan Zamyatin Moore.